Record-keeping is an expensive and time-consuming part of the business. All companies have a collection of documents that are organized and stored. If you are into a heavily regulated industry, you might have to face even more significant burden than similar sized peers line of work. Electric documents are increasingly taking the place of paper. Shifting to electronic solves some issues, including physical storage space, access, and retrieval. Without any careful planning, electronic documents can be lost or can become inaccessible. Advanced document workflow management systems have developed to handle electronic documents through every stage of their lifecycle from creation to their destruction.
What is Document Workflow Management System?
Most of the companies have document management methods in place; some are formal than others. Organizations that do not have any standardize process usually find each staff member or department develop individual plans for storing records. For example- Saving them to different stations, printing and filing them and keeping them on a shared network.
The informal document storing system will lead to issues attempting to access saved documents. Searching comprehensive information is nearly impossible. With no wastage of time and resources, you can search for any material by using a document workflow management system. A document workflow management systems have unique features that allow company documents, regardless of format to organize automatically, archive and maintain minimum efforts.
Cloud Storage vs. On-Premise Storage-
Document management workflow system has two storage methods: In the Cloud or on the premises. If you opt for cloud storing system, documents are stored in a centralized storage system. This has given easy access to employees at any location, instantly. The user can access search systems function and all records are available over the internet. Employees retrieve specific items using any device with internet access.
The on-premise system offers decentralization features and employees search for documents for documents from any location and device with the help of internet connection. You can view some business records on the internet which means this option may not always be suitable for business needs.
The Transition from Paper Document to Digital Record-Keeping
During the transition period, there are many documents which start their lifecycle as an electronic document, at the same time there are many that are still in the paper form. Advanced document workflow management systems make this process smooth and error-free offering is importing tools, version control and more. Whereas physical documents are scanned, categorized in the order along with faxes and emails are organized in a manner making it readily available for future access needs.
There are two primary methods for digitizing records:
- Optical Character Recognition (OCR)- With OCR you can scan and interpret data on paper and pass it through a digital system. OCR gives metadata indexing and makes it searchable. You can browse and store useful digital documents as JSON, XML, database and similar. Get a detailed insight about OCR in our article Optical Character Recognition: The Important Feature In Tech World. (http://www.docupile.com/optical-character-recognition-ocr/)
- Intelligent Character Recognition (ICR)- The major drawback of OCR is the inability to recognize handwritten characters. ICR has developed the ability to identify handwritten characters. ICRdesignedloped to solve this problem. The technological aspect adds to your companies scanning capabilities.
Document wo0rkflow management systems are designed in a manner where you can capture metadata in the workflow system. This system can be utilized for a variety of business applications. Example- You can use documents for signature when integrated with digital signature software or produce records with stamps. Most common uses include sales, orders, purchase orders, contracts and invoices.
How To Increasing The Effectiveness Of Your Document Workflow Management System?
The primary consideration while designing a formal document workflow process should be “simplicity.” A simple design that categorizes documents so that they can be located, archived and discarded when necessary.
The selection of your Document Workflow Management System will impact the efficiency and effectiveness of your record-keeping process. Choose software that offers these key features:
- The ability to assign users permissions for viewing or editing documents. This will protect any leakage of sensitive information by restricting access on a need-to-know basis.
- It is user-friendly, intuitive and flexible as your organizations need change.
- In case of system failure or mishap, you have a comprehensive data backup plan.
- It has input and output features that allow external paperwork to be incorporated in the system for future access making it possible to send document within and outside the organization.
- Highly influential search filters that will enable detailed search and quickly locate any document anytime.
- A high-quality document workflow system is beneficial for all types of businesses. Universally known advantages include paperless office, reduced file space, instant decentralized document retrieval, secured information, backup to protect any data loss, audit trails, versioning to track changes and automatically generate documents.
Docupile’s document management workflow software will give you secure, easy to manage a way to automate documentation processes. This will include features that allow users to import external documents and automatically archived internal documents for future reference or even sent to external parties.