As a business, it is of great significance that you keep those official documents filed correctly to protect yourself and your customers. However, when it comes to keeping papers protected, only storing them alphabetically in a filing cabinet won’t work.
In the broadest understanding, online document storage can be defined as a solution for companies looking for a simple way to share and access their files electronically from anywhere, at any time.
Document Storage vs. Document Management
While this is essential, some organizations are also finding ways to automate business processes or workflows. True document management applications renders solutions for both of them.
Document Storage Solutions Only Allows To:
- File and search at a basic level -i.e. folder name, date, document name, document type.
- Enter documents into an electronic application
- Protect your documents
- Back-up documents in a data storage facility
- Access documents on the server with a username and password.
Document Management Applications Allows To:
- Quickly search documents using Text Search – similar to using Google interface.
- Customize the automation of document approvals.
- Follow the flow of documents from user – user.
- Create a retention schedule and an audit trail of documents for records management compliances.
- Control versioning during collaborating on docs.
- Schedule alerts to remind users when a contract or document.
- Automatically archive emails.
Secondly, what are the major differences between document management and document storage-Both appear to be basically the same sort of plans- taking your essential paperwork or files and keeping them filed correctly and securely, so you can return to them at a later stage. There are some variations that may make you lean towards one more than the other one.
1. You can carry out document management on your own, while document storage requires an external company support.
Document management can be easily completed in office, by filing away paper documents alphabetically or simply using software that permits you to easily manage on your computer or online on the Cloud or file documents in folders. With more companies choosing to adopt online filing solutions or even a server based Intranet- document management is quickly becoming a common theme at workplace.
Document Storage is when the assistance of an outside company is enlisted who will collect your documents and keep them protected from the office at secured places.
A service vendor can throw essential documents when they are no longer required for you and your biz. Leave it in their hands, once the deadline is set.
2. Anytime, anywhere with document storage solutions documents can be accessed.
Most document storage service providers render to scan in your documents, which can then be used at any time of day, anywhere- simply whenever you want. This creation of copies also provides more security for yourself. Document management restricts the accessibility of your documents, unless you store them on a laptop/desktop.
3. Need not to worry with document storage.
You can search yourself searching a document management system for that file, with document storage everything is done for you, your business and customers – from the labeling of docs, scanning them in, to uploading them on a secure server you can operate anywhere and anytime.
When it comes to securely filing documents/files/data, it’s essential that you choose a structure that works best for your business. If you want to free up office time and space document storage is the best option as you allow a credited company to handle potentially important and sensitive paperwork. Document management lets you to manage your own system, using purpose built software while also running your business side by side.
However, when it comes to make a decision, simply choose a system that works best for your budget, your business and your industry.
Want to know more about Document Management and Document Storage? Contact Docupile experts today.