Do you remember the old days when filing cabinets ruled every wall of the office? Or is it still the scenario where paper records are taking up valuable square footage and making it complex to stay organized?
Fortunately, in today’s digital world, we have document management software -DMS to get better the accessibility of any company documents.
It doesn’t matter if it’s an IT company, manufacturing, automobile, healthcare, beauty products, finance, or any other business in the world; they all make ample use of documents.
Documents are the building block of any biz. They play a fundamental role in facilitating the proper functioning and overall success of any business.
There is absolutely no company that can make it through a day without storing and viewing documents. Just to name a few, they include project proposals, marketing brochures HR guidelines, and training materials and technical reports.
Yes. Workplace documents are essential!
The problem is that the more we form and depend on documents for work, the more important it becomes to have systems in place to manage the documents across the company. And this is exactly when a management system takes its stage.
Why is a Document Management System essential?
The swift digitalization of our world has lead to exponential growth in business content and data. Every day the companies are creating and managing vast amounts of contracts, proposals, business documents, marketing material, blog posts, training manuals, sales decks, onboarding material, HR guidelines, and so on.
What happens when you can’t find a file in the middle of a meeting or just a few minutes before the schedule? Or when your manager needs it instantly that important document, but you struggle with your thought process to remember where you have stored it?
Organization of your digital files has always been an often-unnoticed part of being organized. Since you cannot see or sense the digital mess you have created, unlike the paper mess during the old-file cabinets-time, you may not feel like you have a problem, until you cannot find a particular file.
Have you ever wasted precious time searching for a document on your local computer drives, in your email attachments, in chat messages, etc.? All ends up being a search mission that’s impossible to crack!
All of these add ups to a considerable loss or failure in productivity and efficiency!
There are many causes of why an organization needs to set up a document management system immediately. Some of these include:
- Cleaning up the digital mess
- Reduce the Reliance on Paper
- Improve Overall Office Efficiency
- Make Information Access a Breeze
- Safe and Secure
- Quick Search
- Better Accuracy
- Reduced Storage & Supply Costs
- Provides a Competitive Advantage
What features to consider for in a Document Management System-DMS?
When selecting a document management system, there are a few key features to keep an eye out for.
Discuss your needs with any sales reps you contact and be sure to ask for technical specifications and pricing in writing.
We recommend making sure that any document management system you consider should be comprising the following seven basic features.
- File structure: The system should provide an easy to use file structure or format that makes sense to users- such as a cabinet-drawer folder access.
- Searching-You wants an extensive type of option for finding files quickly. You should be able to find it not only by the file’s name but also by the content the file includes. Such as the file type and date it was last modified etc.
- Ease of Usability- The system should be easy and straightforward for employees to access. If it is too complicated, you won’t get complete output from the team members, which will surely hinder your day-to-day functionality and hence lead to chaos.
- Mobile access- You always want a DMS system that is continuously accessible via tablets and smartphones.
- Integration: The system should seamlessly integrate with the programs you already make use of, such as your customer relationship management software and email client. Ask regarding open APIs when discussing any solution with a sales representative.
- Scanning- The solution should be compatible with a comprehensive variety of scanners.
- Security- The system should allow you to limit who can see specific files and folders. You should be able to set-up access permissions by an employee.
Connect with the Docupile Document Management System professionals today and see how we can assist you in reaching your business to the next level, that too, in an organized and efficient manner.